View Single Post
      07-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #83
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Point taken and I usually try to make it clear that the timing is a rough estimate. In the case of this order I did not forsee any delays and that is why I believed my estimate to be accurate. There was some delays and we missed our target date by just over a week.

Anyone who has ordered wheels before can understand that a week delay is actually pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiaKid View Post
Jorge, not trying to kick you when you are in this situation. But given that you realize that delays can - and often, it seems, do - occur. Wouldn't it make more sense to just give an estimate that includes a time-provision that factors in these delays? You know Zappos, they have a tendency to under-promise and over-deliver and it works great for their word-of-mouth as people come up more surprised. Of course, i get that you lose some potential customers when you quote a longer time, but you will probably reap much more customers because you are known to deliver on time or ahead of time. Essentially, you are just repackaging the delivery time-frame differently.

btw, MLai, you mentioned OR. And this is incredibly true, one of my classmate's thesis was actually on something just like this (actually was for another auto parts manufacturer) and I can see there definitely being a huge advantage in applying this.
to the wheel manufacturing process as they have a bottleneck at a certain process but they use the same blocks of materials and wait until the order comes in to start from scratch. I wonder if Forged1 would want to pass me a free set if I pass them that report (haha it was worth a lot more than that when the company sponsored it).
Appreciate 0