View Single Post
      12-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Alright, I got the Eisenmann race exhaust install today. I picked up the car at 6:30 tonight, so I have no pictures to show....due to darkness. I promise to have pictures and videos soon.

Quick initial points....

1) Internet videos just don't give you any idea of what this exhaust sounds like. I've watched all of the 550i Eisenmann videos that youtube has to offer. None of them prepared me for the sound. How does it sound? DIRTY! Dirty, in a good way. Very deep and grumbly. Somewhat similar to an AMG sound (as much as a turbo-charged V8 can sound). Great sound. Love it. In fact, it exceeds expectation right now.........and this without the exhaust system being broken in (in about another 1000 miles).

2) This particular exhaust (the race version) drones a lot! There is a very small sweet-spot, where you can make the sound go away (somewhere between 7th and 8th gear). Highway driving is tolerable. City driving is borderline obnoxious. I do realize that I've been driving an almost silent car up to the point, so it will take some getting used to. I'll update in a month to give a final opinion. Just be warned, if you can't stand any drone....this particular exhaust will not be your cup of tea.

3) No performance gain. However, no performance gain was ever expected. This is only axle-back, so it's nearly impossible to gain performance. This merely shapes the sound of the car.

4) I have seen some people claim that the race exhaust is a "cop magnet". I cannot possibly see how it is a cop magnet. It's not THAT loud. Add an x-pipe and things may change. I will NOT be adding an x-pipe, as it would be unbearable for my personal driving comfort.

I will post a video soon. Just be advised........videos of the Eisenmann race exhaust do very little to give an accurate representation of the tone. This is a seriously deep and throaty sounding exhaust. It is incredible. However, there is certainly a trade-off.
Appreciate 0