12-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 535i, '08 750i, '12 K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would definitely recommend the IAS. I couldn't find a 5 series with IAS before I ordered, but I did test drive 2 swb 750i M-Sport vehicles back-to-back. One with IAS and one without IAS, and I drove the test cars hard on winding back roads. The IAS car had much better steering - it felt more responsive, more precise, more agile. The car also felt like it could corner faster. I highly recommend IAS if you are a guy who likes pushing the car in the curves, and also doing fast lane changes on highway.

One final thing - I agree with you on the Maui Jim plastic frames, but I have the metal Kahuna model which is rock solid. Unfortunately they don't make non-polarized, so if you have a good recommendation on a maker of prescription non-polarized wrap-around sunglasses, let me know.
Were you seriously considering buying a 750i before you settled on a 550i ? If so, why'd you go with the 5 ?

Thanks for your input regarding IAS, I do like to drive aggressively. (Case in point, on Christmas Day I drove the Palms to Pines highway returning from the desert to San Diego (74, 371, 79), and I had a blast with my Z3, Manual Transmission and very light traffic. Oh, and no wife or other passengers screaming at me to slow down and don't pass anyone ). Now I'm rethinking my decision about not getting IAS, perhaps I need to add it.

My three pairs of Maui Jims were all the Kahuna model. In all fairness, I was rough with them, even sitting on a pair once when I had placed them on my bicycle seat and forgot. I love the look and optics, but for driving the Serengeti's are better, IMO.
Appreciate 0