01-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #962
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
Thx for the infos! really helped me a lot to understand the basics. I've view few images of Jpeg VS RAW on dpreview. but only can tell the differences when I zoom in. Do you guys save both RAW and Jpeg files when shooting?
we've covered the pros pretty well for you, but here are a few cons.

-takes up more hard drive space
-takes up more memory card space
-if you shoot burst of pictures often, the buffer runs out faster, and you won't get as many shots before it maxes out on the camera and you have to wait a couple of seconds
if you load pictures to a friends computer, they likely won't have a program that will read RAW so there's no point in giving photos away until you've taken them home

other then that, with todays technology out there, taking up hard drive space isn't a good argument, as you can buy 3TB for about 150$

you can carry a laptop with you and convert files quickly if someone really needs them, and if someone really needs them, you can also shoot jpeg and raw at the same time, depending on the camera.

the only real negative if you consider it a problem, is shooting in bursts. that being said, as cameras are coming along, the camera can process the large files faster then ever before. I know if i shoot raw only on my 7D without any noise reduction settings or light altering, i can shoot burst almost continuously, if i turn on those features, i can shoot maybe 15 in a row, but who really needs to have 15 in a row unless they like the noise.

if you shoot raw and jpeg on the 7D with all the noise filters and etc on, you can maybe if you're lucky shoot a burst of 6.
Appreciate 0