02-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #52
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Responding to this and the thread... I can vouch for the quietness of the 520d also (when engine is warm)... normally only way I can tell it is on is by looking at the rev counter.... I am sure it is not as refined as the bigger engines, but very quiet all the same when idling.

As for the thread, had my first experience at the garage this week, stopped to get some milk and left the family in the car with engine on. Got back and family cr@pped all over me for leaving me with all the warnings and beepings**... evidently the car threw it's toys out of the cot when the key fob was out of range ; not much use if you are already OUT of the car when it warns you is my point.

**I keep keys in my pocket so the attached house-keys don't clatter in the cup tray...
I too keep the key in my pocket; one of the many features I like about the system.
Should you forget to switch off again, you can preclude a repeat of your passengers giving you grief for such irresponsible behaviour by doing one of the following: 1. crank up the radio volume or, 2. just tell them to press the iDrive controller - it cancels all the bongs and lights and gives them something to do while they're waiting. Calmness will then be restored
Appreciate 0