07-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
As you know, right now, BMW is transitioning to a non mechanized speedo cluster. In the end, this will reduce costs and improve customization.

In typical BMW style, BMW transitions these things very slowly. First, it's a black panel with some mechanized instrumentation. Now, it will soon be all passive display with no moving parts.

Thus, you are probably driving one of last generation of mechanized clusters. That makes it special and a tad quaint.

Five or ten years from now, car collectors will flock to your non black panel display because it was the last of the mechanical clusters.

So, enjoy the last remnants of the mechanical cluster you have. Yes, it is not the new fangled black panel yada yada yada.

But, your old fashioned display represents the near last of the mechanicals and there is a huge history in that. Your cluster represents the zenith of the mechanical technology.

Turn the car on and watch all of the needles dance to reset themselves to zero. Enjoy what you have because it won't be long before you trade her in for the latest and greatest. And by then, not only will there be no mechanical clusters, there will be no more mechanical hard drives in your car either.
well someone dug this year-old thread I made, but I'm not talking about new all-digital speedo, but the speedo that comes with HUD. I gave up on this since new speedo costs about $1k.
Appreciate 0