View Single Post
      12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
So, it sounds like there are a lot of opinions about which of these suspension options makes the F10/11 'feel' the best - which is important. Has anyone done/seen any testing that might put some data behind which factory available suspension set-up 'really' provides the best handling?
Best handling... that is a difficult one. Even with raw data, the final opinion is often 'what feels best', and that is subjective. We'd assume with the options we get a better riding/handling car, many test drivers hold that opinion. The least we get with the options (or combinations of) is something different, and it is the differences which collect opinion and the likes or dislikes. Something as simple as changing tire size and brand specification, can completely alter the feel to the ride/handling balance. Let alone the more complex option based configurations.

When we assess the ride/handling balance, do we test drive for a particular 'sporty' feel? Or are we testing for the roads we typically drive and how the car is used, not just for the driver but passengers as well? For me it is the latter, how I will live with the chassis long term, and day to day. That is how I judge chassis dynamics of a road car, never mind what it will do on a track. Track settings would make a poor daily driver for me. I look for the least amount of compromises for day to day use. So any raw data on what corners best, etc., would mean very little if it didn't translate to my roads and driving needs.

A neighbour of mine (an M-car enthusiast) replaced his E39 M5 with an E60 M5, he obviously drives the same roads as me, when asked how it handled locally, he said it just didn't drive well or reward as it should in the 'tightest' sport mode, the chassis was far too firm, grip was reduced and therefore a compromised drive, sort of defeated the "best handling" ethos. He didn't keep it long and regretted changing from his E39 M5, which was fine in the same conditions.

We all evaluate from slightly different perspectives, one man's best is another's compromise.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0