View Single Post
      11-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Yes, the whole car is a depreciating asset, but I have always found that options depreciate at a faster rate then the basic car.

However some options are so desirable that they depreciate at about the same rate as the basic car because they are considered essential, or make the car unique, and therefore more desirable.

For example back in the day when you used to have to order air conditioning as an option. That was a huge positive for resale. Also depending on the market you are in, AWD or diesel makes a car unique and rare on the resale market, and increases resale value.

Conversely, ordering heavy duty springs, sway bars, tow package on a pickup truck. You got no money back on those options.

I just wonder if at resale time DHP is more like ordering the heavy duty springs, and you get no money back from it at resale time, or does it make the car unique, and desirable enough, for someone, to pay more money for the car.

In addition, even if it doesn't add to resale value is the option so desirable that it is worth getting.
The 535d is new turf for BMW in the US -- hard to say if the diesel will be widely accepted in the mid-range market, and thus, what the resale market will be like. Aside from enthusiasts like us, diesel still is very much a novelty in the US, despite its many benefits. Only the Germans make diesel models -- BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi -- no other car manufacturers (can't buy a Puegot anymore in the US -- my boss had a diesel Puegot back in the late '70's and it was a great car). The only US option is if you're buying a pickup truck. Diesel adoption has been very slow.

Since you're you the fence here, I'd suggest leasing where the risk of resale is zero. You can get the car you want at a lesser price. It's a new entry, and I ordered mine from the factory and negotiated $470 over invoice, while still getting the options I wanted -- you could do the same. At the end of the lease, you could turn it back in or buy (yes, at a premium, but you have options here versus owning a red herring).

Picking up mine on Saturday..... can't wait. Ordered 9/29... 6 weeks start-to-finish!

Appreciate 0