11-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I have no doubt the diesel is a great car to drive. I drove a X35d a couple of years ago and really liked it. On the 335d, I think some people miss the high revving silky smooth inline 6, although the drive from a stop is impressive. As to the 5 series, you will definitely see an increased rate of depreciation over a 3/4 series or 2 series. The 7 is even worse.

Your dealer's offer was $29,000. You would have to get $2,000 more in the private market to match the dealer's offer, however as I read your email dealer didn't offer you $31,000. In my province if you sell a car and buy a new one for a greater value, you can get a sales tax refund for the value of the car you sold (can't get the VAT back though).

The diesel is a great option if you won't miss the high revving 6. It is feel good experience, both from the massive torque and the fuel economy (saving the planet) plus you get to drive long distances between fill ups. The problem with diesel is that it is about 20% more expensive than premium and it has been higher than that historically. As the economy recovers and diesel fuel becomes more in demand, that trend may continue. These are some of the reasons I felt a gas model was a safer bet. If I was a travelling salesman (who could afford a BMW), I'd definitely have taken a 535d.

Good luck with your decision.
You can't get the money back in the U.S. That is why I add it back in to the sale price. So the effective real price for the car, baring another offer, is $31,000.

I have driven the petrol version of my car, the 335i, and I far prefer the diesel. I have to be careful when I step on the pedal that I don't lay rubber with my diesel. The torque is awesome. In the 5-series the diesel lacks the same power my 335d has, above 80. Due to the increased weight of the car, but I mostly drive around town, and go cross country once a year.

If money wasn't an object. I would definitely buy the 550ix, or jump to the 650ix.

However, I sold my pickup truck, and bought a car because I got sick of putting a $100 per week in tank. The 550ix gets the same gas mileage as my Tundra. I was very close to buying a Prius when I discovered the VW diesels, and then at the same dealership discovered the heavily discounted 335d. I have never been sorry I purchased this car it is amazing!

I just need AWD and more cargo space. I can't even fit my road bike frame in the trunk, never mind skis. I kind of miss having a truck.
Appreciate 0