View Single Post
      03-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Well, I disassembled the driver's side, and took the carbon filters out of both sides (whether that provides any benefit remains to be seen).

I'll say, there is even LESS room than I previously thought. My initial goal was to have a filter box on the outboard side of both intercoolers, but without something really creative there's just not enough room there. The tightest gap was between the intercooler and the radiator overflow reservoir (3 inches). That's just not enough space to make any sort of enclosure to keep the engine heat away from the filter elements.

I haven't given up just yet, mainly because the two hurdles (HFAMM and crankcase breather) are both able to be worked within reason. My guess was correct on the HFAMM, it has two distinct channels/paths, one for temperature and one for air mass. The portion that serves those functions is a little under 2 inches long, so a 3 inch air pipe would be sufficient in my estimation. It does sit in the direct center of the factory oval air pipe.

My current path is to install air piping from the turbo inlet to the front of the car, with filter elements on the end. My concern with this approach is to find filter elements that are short in length, to minimize any chance of water being an issue. An installed baffle plate, could be a possible solution.

How's progress coming for everyone else? This can be done, but it's going to require some creativity to be functional, and show an improvement in performance.

It sounds like we have an option coming for a full exhaust, which is exciting, we just need to get more air to the turbos. After that, it's going to be upgrades to bigger turbos, but that market would seem to be down the road quite a bit.

My transmission and the remaining four injectors are getting replaced on Tuesday, after that it's time to start putting this idea together in the form of a prototype.