View Single Post
      10-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
bmwZ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i ESS

Then I have finally started on the body convertion of my 550ix..

First parts off was the side skirts. Since some of the screws to unmount the fenders are under here, it was the place to begin

Then the bumper came off. I started with some unmounting of steel bars, some plastic parts, fog light and finally cutting in the plastic surrounding of the radiator to get it to fit the M5 bumper.
New M5 airducts was fitted and modified to fit a 550.

My biggest problem with this convertion is my Active Cruise Control radar. M5 are not delivered with this option. Since M5 have a completely different lower steel bar and it is this one my radar is attached too, I have to do some good modifications to it. After test fitting the M5 bumper, I also saw that the radar will hit my grill inserts in the M5 bumper So some thinking and a good plan hopefully will sort it out

Testfit of the bumper Look where bumper/fender meets. It is a lot wider this bumper

The fenders was easy to remove. Some screews on the top, one under the bumper, one under the side skirt, one inside the inner plastic wheels arch and two within the front door.

It will be a completely different car with this bumper

So then the M5 parts is shipped away to the paintshop. Just looking forward to get them back now