View Single Post
      09-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I've heard both good and bad things about cross drilled/slotted rotors. So why do most performance cars have them...the M5 comes with them stock?.
Any car made for track days like the M series or the high end Porsches, need drilled rotors. It's not to improve street absolute performance. It improves the resistance to fade because it cools the rotors faster. A drilled rotor has less surface area for pad contact so why would anyone think it will have more braking power?

Integra days blew up because of the F&F movies. Most of the claims for aftermarket parts were bogus. If you swap your stock rotor for another of the same size and similar material but cross drilled, then your braking performance is actually worse.

True story: I had a 96 Prelude VTEC H22A and my friend had the Integra GS-R of the same year. He bought those slotted cross drilled brakes and upgrade to ceramic pads. He also had a bunch of bolt-ons that claim to add more power. About $3.5k of mods and his car was barely faster and braking performance was worse despite him swearing it was better.

We did some tests using my car as a standard with everything stock. His braking distance got much worse( like 15-20 feet longer) from 70mph. His 1/4 time went from 15.7 to 15.4 so slightly faster lol. At least the CAI and Catback exhaust sounded good. To no surprise, he rear ended me one day because his car didn't brake fast enough(FYI ceramic pads suck in cold weather). Nothing happened to my car since I had a trailer hitch on the back but his was wrecked.

Chances are, it was probably placebo effects that you felt. Most of the Honda driver that mod their cars have the same problem from the hundreds I've met back then. It's not exclusively Honda fans but Honda vehicles were wildly popular in the mod scene back then.
Appreciate 0