05-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #47
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
Nope not at all. I am trying to prevent people from believing what you say because you clearly are just guessing. It's like fake news.

Let me tell you this, the best handling upgrade to your car is sticky tires. Stiff suspension usually gives the impression of better handing, however, unless you're on a perfectly smooth surface super stiff suspension will not be faster.

The reason race cars are stiff is for 2 main reasons, one because they have so much downforce they need to be otherwise they will bottom out when going fast and second because the tracks are usually very smooth allowing for stiffer suspension without bouncing all over the place like you do on the road with very stiff suspension.

There is no order in which you need to add suspension components such as sway bars and aftermarket shocks and springs. And until you try things yourself I would refrain from telling people to modify x or change y.
stiff suspension = zero grip over uneven/rough pavement. suspension must be firm but not overly so. compliance is important. I like the bilstein struts paired with ACS springs because the struts are aggressive, but the springs offer compliance which is what you want for not only a daily driver, but one that can handle capably around corners.

It has been recorded that high performance sway bars are not good for stock suspension. its kind of like a bottleneck - suspensions aggressiveness must be paired to the sway bars accordingly for best results. there are lots of knowledgeable people out here who believe sway bars should be done last for this very reason.

I am also against lowering springs on factory struts. lowering springs are not designed to be used with your average non performance strut meaning that it will be compressed more then then normal and wear out very quickly. the ride/handling would also not be as good when comparing it to a proper strut/spring combo or coilover setup.

I recently upgraded from 17 inch rims to 19 inch PSS tires, and it made a huge difference. the suspension is still a little too soft for my liking, but it rides nicer now and handles more planted/stiff then before. the low profile tire helped a lot.

the thing about suspension is, like you said downforce compresses your suspension at high speed which makes an overly stiff setup even more useless. (for the street anyways) the faster you go in the 5 series, the more nimble it feels, less body roll, less understeer. it handles really well at high speed. the suspension feels perfectly compressed and not soft at all once you get enough downforce.

look man, you think I dont know my shit? try me. but I'll always suck up my ego and admit when I dont know something. you need to relax a little.
Appreciate 0