View Single Post
      07-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #19
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Do the "old" engines have no particulate filters? These I believe have been in use since at least 2007 on big rigs. As I recall, EGR is what makes the new engines less economical and less durable in the long run. I hadn't noticed but would consider DPF's a must. They dramatically decrease ambient particulates and are conspicuously absent on gasoline vehicles, making them the bad boy, not diesels.

The physiology of airborne particulates, science, reveals larger particulates don't make it to the alveoli where much of their intake causes disease. This doesn't make them good. But a lot of the black stuff doesn't make it into humans but falls to the ground - try checking plastic chairs on your patio if its near a major highway.

Studies of ambient air do not support the theory that diesel exhaust particulates outnumber gasoline exhaust particulates, but such studies are rarely done. What is more common is to just demonize diesel, even in scientific publications by isolating it and implying it is solely responsible for heart/lung disease from vehicles in the public arena.

If you don't think journalism has been corrupted by a serious lack of facts in reporting, you haven't been looking.

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 07-15-2019 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0