Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Well - like I said, they changed specifications through all of these different fluids settling on G2. I don't know why it's different, but everyone who opens their diffs say that the front diff fluid seems extra "used up", darkened and burnt.

For, let's say, E39 automatics. They have a BMW specified fluid, which it turns out is Esso LT71141. Lots of really good ATFs says they are intended for LT71141 applications and fully compatible. I put Amsoil ATF (which listed LT71141 as an intended application) in an E39 and it worked better than new. In this case BMW didn't specify a whole series of fluids which they superceded and made obsolete, leading to a TIS bulletin listing only three exceptions to G2 for front diffs, with no clear indication what was different.

I find almost no manufacturers who said they were equivalent to G1 or G2. Amsoil and other web sites had NO driveline fluid recommendations for the F10 (and Amsoil makes a lot of fluids).

As I explained in another thread - I just went with real G2. Who knows how many years before I have to spend another $80 on fluid (or whatever).

Mine took 500mL plus a single pump from my bottle pump. If I had not opened the second bottle I could have returned it.
The change in 7/2011 is that BMW went from a 75w90 to a 75w85 to boost mileage by like 0.1% lol. People are probably reporting that the G2 is extra chewed up because it's just a thinner fluid. It's a 75W85 GL-5 oil, so the Red Line GL-5 is actually a valid replacement.

The rear diff is G1, which is just a GL-4 oil. They probably went GL-4 because there weren't many yellow metal safe oils at the time, but these days 99% of modern Gl-5 oils are safe for yellow metals (in fact, some corrode LESS than Gl-4).

The 7/2011 change actually PERFECTLY lines up with the political happenings of the day:

"On July 29, 2011, President Obama announced an agreement with thirteen large automakers to increase fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light-duty trucks by model year 2025. He was joined by Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar/Land Rover, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, and Volvo—which together account for over 90% of all vehicles sold in the United States—as well as the United Auto Workers (UAW), and the State of California, who were all participants in the deal"
What oil are you going to use in the rear diff? Probably going to get this done this week
Appreciate 0