View Single Post
      10-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #29
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Good unit, with caveats

I have purchased this screen as well. I previously had AVIN's 720p screen already, so this was a bit of an unnecessary upgrade (but I'm sure I'm not the first to do this haha).

I do love the screen, but here are some caveats from my personal experience:

Quote:
- I'm having a corruption problem during the boot animation. It has been a long and exhausting process to try every possible variable to fix it. Eventually AVIN and I just settled on exchanging the unit (I actually bought a new one, and will be sending the bad one back /fingers crossed).

- This is not confirmed, but my opinion, and other members over on the Android HU thread's opinion, is that it's possible that these units have a baked-in bootanimation (a circle of bubbles). So the typical process to change the bootanimation doesn't seem to work.

- They sent my unit preinstalled with what they call their "blue ray filter". I was told this was a free upgrade (I didn't ask for it). I asked to make sure it wouldn't void the warranty (you never know), if I could remove it, and so I did. I did not like how it made the text slightly blurrier. Keep in mind that reflections will be pretty prominent without any filter at all. AVIN has informed me that they are working on getting regular filters available shortly.

- I get why these stickers exist, but AVIN's warranty void sticker is HUGE (relatively) and placed on the bottom of the unit. It's light gray, and reflects off the shiny wood trim (at times it's VERY obvious). This may or may not bother you, depending on how OCD you are. I had to place a piece of lightly tacky (so it doesn't pull the sticker off) black tape over it.

- While the monitor slots into a bracket that actually fits in the original screen's space, it still rests and touches the wood trim. It shifts very very slightly with car movement, this is expected. But I did not want it to scratch the trim, so again with more tape (this time TESA tape, which BMW uses in their cars to cushion noise among other things).

- You may find that the monitor may have some slight give to it when you touch it. This is affected by the temperature in the car which makes the bracket less rigid. Again, this may or may not be an issue to you.
I'll update this if I forgot anything, but this is already pretty lengthy.

DESPITE all those things, I think they have a good product on their hands, it will be a permanent part of my car, assuming the replacement doesn't have the same image corruption issue as the first. The sound quality is great like all their other products that I have purchased.

Hope this helps anyone make a more informed purchase. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: I can no longer recommend this unit based on my experience with two of them back to back. See post below.

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 11-05-2020 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: Formatting clarity
Appreciate 0