View Single Post
      04-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #28
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
With all that being said, scored cylinder walls is an awkward conclusion if the tune was the culprit. Cracked rings, bent rods, spun bearings would all make sense. Scored cylinder walls, not so much. Not that it isn't possible. If injector dwell time was through the roof or something of that nature, and the cylinder walls were getting washed constantly then maybe. Its more likely the scoring was caused from the rings getting blown out and that would also be why there was no compression. Did they look at the pistons/rings at all?
It was the service department at the dealership who told me that. They claim to have seen scoring of the cylinder wall via borescope. They thought a bad injector caused over fueling and suspected the scoring occurred at start up. They presented that theory as their "best guess". They also told me that it was only one cylinder on both motors that wouldn't hold compression and no further info was given. Based on this theory, they approved all 8 injectors to be replaced which isn't typical for a short block replacement (so I was told).
Appreciate 0