View Single Post
      09-30-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
emkerk
Rep
Drives: bmw 535xi

$1700 ABS module quoted, should I buy a used one?

I have a 2011 535i xDrive with the following warning messages: Chassis stabilization malfunction, Traction control light, DSC xDrive malfunction.

I took it to a independent shop that works on BMW's and they have great reviews online and seem to be great to work with. The part that needs replaced is a Control Module part number 34526799712 due to water damage. At some point the sunroof had been leaking (which i knew about when I bought the car ) causing dampness inside the car, the sunroof module was bad and so was the ABS module. The ABS module itself is $1700 and the labor to remove old one install new one and program it will bring the total to $2423.

The shop was ok with me finding a used module on ebay ($100), but if the module is bad i would have to pay for the $723 install & programming twice since id need to get another one.

Do you guys have any suggestions? How likely is it that a used module would be bad? Should i bite the bullet and pay the $1700 for the new one that comes with a 2 year parts & labor warranty? Any suggestions are appreciated before I decide to pay the $2400 bill

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0