04-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #596
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomppa View Post
Thanks Blue Angel, for the informative table. I am looking to replace (upgrade) my rear (345x24) rotors soon, so decided to have a closer look at the table. Couple of questions arised:
1. Why are the F01/750 and F01/760 on the comparison? I thought we'd loose the hand brake if using them, as they don't have the electronic one. How was it with M5, I don't know. I read the long thread about brake upgrades but there was a lot to read, so might have missed that one.
2. In the table 750 and 760 present same ID, piston dia etc. yet % increase is different. Where does the difference come from?
3. Brake bias ranking. Is this a ranking of the total torques, not the rear only? If so, what can I use this information for?
4. Does higher torque give you lighter pedal press or how do I perveice it? In this case, could a low torque be compensated with more efficient booster (or different size of master cylinder)?

I am looking at the column of 550, so there aren't so many options for me to upgrade...
1. F01 750 and 760 rear brake rotor (same) requires the F10 M5 rear caliper (or 550 caliper and M5 carrier), which both use the same electric parking brake as other F10s.
2. % increase is only relative to the next column to the left. The rear F01 760 is the same as the rear 750 so 0% increase, and the rear F01 750 is 8.8% higher than the F10 550.
3. Yes, ranked by total braking torque. Brake bias front to rear is only for comparison. I did this so we could see what the different system combinations offered compared to the M5, which is probably the most rear-biased setup you should shoot for on a street car.
4. Assuming the same brake pad coefficient of friction, a brake system with more torque would equate to more deceleration for a given pedal force. Given the difference between the M5 and 528 is only 15%, a grippy pad on the 528 could give equivalent or better braking than the M5. Of course, the M5 brakes are massive by comparison and can handle far more heat, so more repeat stops or stops from higher speeds without overheating. It's all about thermal mass. And bling.
Appreciate 0