View Single Post
      01-14-2024, 12:16 PM   #55
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocomCA View Post
So im thinking of only doing the partial 4 zone climate control retrofit mainly to increase the air flow for the rear while keeping the original heated seats function but without additional footwell heating modules or anything.

According to this thread, they said: https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/2...ir-con.828555/

Parts:

Front grille with 4 zone climate control 64229166891
Rear Center Console Cover 51169206781
Rear Blower 64119311853
Rear Center grill 64229172344
4-zone rear controller w/ seat heating, w/o ceramic knobs - 61319290751
4-zone center console, storage compartment (qty 1) - 51169206729

On the electrical part

1) Connectors and cable from rear center control unit to the rear center grille vent.
2) Connectors and cable from the rear blower to the rear center control unit.
3) Power for the rear center control unit to be taken from the front fuse box (behind the glove box).
4) Power for the rear blower to be taken from the rear fuse box (at the trunk).
5) Power for the lighting on the rear center grille vent to be taken from the LED lighting for the center storage box.
6) Connection to CAN bus.
7) For heated rear seats, run LIN bus wires from the two rear seat heater controllers to the JBE.

Is there anything else I'm missing to accomplish just control air flow from the center console blower to increase the airflow based on what the front driver setting is?
I'm not aware of any successful "partial" install of a 4-zone climate controlled system in the F10.

If you are asking me how to get the rear climate controller to "just" control the center console fan speed, I have no idea. The system is complex and with my Engineering background, I couldn't convince myself that a predictable functionality could be achieved with only a partial installation.
  1. The HKA is a slave to the IHKA
  2. The HKA would have no sensors connected to it in your install (no control loops)
  3. The HKA rear blower may spin, and create a vacuum if the IHKA has closed the rear stratification (depending on the IHKA settings, the HKA may fight the IHKA on air flow)
  4. The IHKA "Sync" will do nothing with the HKA controller (I find this feature is absolutely required for me)
  5. Setting temperature on the HKA will do nothing
  6. The HKA heat and A/C temp setting will do nothing
  7. FDL coding from 2.5 zone to 4 zone will only set codes and cause your HKA and IHKA to function incorrectly if the other electrical/sensors aren't installed - this would bug the shit out of me (my ISTA module tree MUST be 100% green)
  8. Even if you only install the front center vent, the one with two thumb wheels for temperature, and difference settings for air distribution on the air distribution thumbwheels, when changing your coding from 2.5 to 4 zone, your IHKA will throw several faults...those thumb wheel differences will contradict the stratification mismatch (LIN bus error)
The only partial portion of the 4-zone that I could ever recommend that would not necessarily impact the full functionality of a 4-zone Mod, would be to not install the rear air ducts from the center console over to the B-pillar vents, which given only additional air distribution and only left or only right air flow under very select situations...and it won't be missed. Other than that, I only pursue full factory-like install of electrical modifications. (Please do not get me started on aftermarket radio installations - Ugh)

If you proceed, and are successful with a partial install of the 4-zone, please post. Others most certainly would LOVE to hear about your accomplishment. The "others" that post on partial install, oddly, don't post anything afterwards on what does or doesn't work.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 01-14-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0