12-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #22
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It won't ever get the DCT gearbox but after driving the new 8sp auto in the 5GT I can say that you don't feel short changed by not having a DCT. Another thing, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the M5 got this 8sp auto instead of a DCT, it can cope easily with the torque and it's surprisingly quick at shifting gears.
Could not agree with you more! I bet you did not get to drive it yet with the sport auto option- includes the technically updated shifting mechanism like the current available option in the E60.

Hate to tell everyone that the 550i will not be getting the DCT. Especially in AWD form.

Building a DCT capable of handling the torque transfer is not cheap and something BMW will not be doing. The new sport autos shift as fast and can handle torque better.

There will be some more tricks in the sport autos that do everything the DCT can do.

Until you get to drive the new 8 speeds w/ sport auto I think a lot of you DCT fan boys should relax. There is a change coming and it is for the better.

Do not be surprised to see Porsche/VW lose the PDK in the future along with BMW....