View Single Post
      12-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #170
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I wouldn't say that operators in real life prefer it, I still see more guys using Aimpoints than EOTech's. During a 2 day training class in the pouring rain (imagine that in Seattle...), 2 EOTech's shit the bed while every single Aimpoint ran like a champ (3 EOTech's, 14 Aimpoints and 1 C-More.) Even the Aimpoint M4 that was slammed on the ground to demonstrate how tough they are. Hell, even my C-More survived the constant barrage.
Thats kind of a bummer to find out about their durability flaws. Hopefully that is something EOTech is working on. Personal preferences aside, I must say that the technology in the holo sight is fascinating though. Not having to line up your eye right on the sight and still able to see where the aim point seems is like a great advantage when you have to move.

Quote:
Unlike traditional red dot sights, holographic weapon sights utilize holography to achieve an effectively infinite parallax free distance. Most standard red dot sights use a simpler semi-reflective surface which reflects a projected dot of light while allowing the user to see through the sight. When the eye is not aligned with the center of the standard reflex sight, a certain amount of parallax error can be introduced at longer ranges.[3] The method of holographic projection used by EOTech allows the parallax error to be constant at any range, and never more than the radius of the sight window.

One requirement of holographic projection is a laser. Lasers use more power than a LED of an equivalent brightness, reducing the amount of time a holographic sight can run on a single set of batteries. Another disadvantage to the laser-based sight is that lasers are more sensitive to temperature. To prevent loss of accuracy, thermal changes must be compensated for. A diffraction grating is used in the holographic sight; however, the operating temperature range is typically less than that of a simpler optical reflex sight.