08-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Adaptive drive/drive dynamic/sport auto confusion

Hi All,
Please bear with me if these questions have been previously answered; I've done a search and found loads of stuff, but I'm still not fully sure.
I'm on the verge of trading in my beloved E92 for a 535d M Sport F10, but I'm not totally clear on exactly what you get with the above options and my local dealer has done little to clarify my confusion.
The way I understand it is as follows:
1. Adaptive drive controls body roll by constant adjustment of active anti-roll bars and dampers.
2. The adaptive drive also includes dynamic drive control, which adjusts gear shift rate, steering and throttle response.
3. Although drive dynamic is separately listed, this is not available without adaptive drive.
4. There are three modes - comfort, normal and sport; there is also sport+ which disables traction control. These modes are controlled by a set of buttons by the gear selector.
5. Sport auto has normal and sport modes, controlled by pushing the gear selector sideways (but so did the SE demo, so what's the difference?), but you get the steering wheel shift paddles.
Is this correct and, more importantly, worth the considerable extra expense (£2,200 for adaptive drive and £110 for sport auto)?
I have driven the 530d with standard 8 speed auto and I was generally very impressed. Compared to my E92 there is, of course, considerably more roll and pitch through corners and over uneven surfaces; however, it's dramatically more comfortable and quieter.
Has anyone driven both the normal auto and adaptive drive versions and, if so, is there a noticeable difference? What I'm hoping for is the comfort of the demo car I drove, with the ability to transform it into something closer to my E92 at the push of a button.
Many thanks,
Jon D
Appreciate 0