View Single Post
      08-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #56
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
Unless you might use the paddles, I wouldn't spend the $500. This is quite expensive for paddles, and you'd be paying twice for some of the functionality.

You will still be able to engage a sport transmission mode by shifting the lever to the left, which in my experience yields shift points you'll only want when driving the car aggressively. But you'll also be able to manually shift the transmission using the lever.
As I understand it, the sport box option is not just about the different stick and paddle shifters. BMW have also modified the software for faster changes, (not the same as using the standard auto in sport with different shift points), but a more eager box all round in sport mode.

I can't find any specific technical reference to this for the F10, but certainly the case with the box in the E60/1.

The brochure does say for 2TB, "shorter shift times" which is what was also stated in the brochure for the E60. It is really the difference between "different shift points" in typical auto sport modes and "faster shift times" in the sport box, which seems to set the boxes apart.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0