View Single Post
      08-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

I've got a headache with all the possible alternatives :-(

The idea of 18" wheels, non-run flat tyres and no chasis aids appeals - but I'm still bothered by what would happen in the event of a puncture, even if I had a repair kit. I like the idea of being able to drive to a safe place even with a puncture because I can't see myself messing with a repair kit when its -4 celcius outside :-)

The M-Sport package initially appealed to me because I mistakingly thought it came with 19" wheels as standard. I'm not too bothered about having the body kit, seats etc so I'm going to pass on it. The SE looks nice enough.

When it comes to the engine, it's got to be the 520d for me. I'll certainly look out for the vibration mentioned in an earlier post on my next test drive, but it makes the most sense. As many motoring journalists have said, it almost makes the other cars in the range irrelevant. However, if I had the money to burn and didn't care about running costs I would definately go for a option laden 530d :-)

At the moment it looks like I'll have to tick the variable damping control (VDC) option box because it gave a much better ride than without - but I'll have to try it with 18" wheels without VDC first in case the 19" wheels was the cause of the poor ride quality.

The final decision rests with whether I go for the F10 or F11. I haven't ordered anything yet because I want to see the F11 in the metal first. It looks great in the press shots (arguably better looking than the F10) and with two growing kids, it makes sense - though my heart tells me to get the F10. The F11 may ride differently to the F10 because of the self levelling rear suspension so that's another factor to consider.

The options I'm looking at are:

Imperial blue Xirallic
18" wheels (style 328)
Oyster/Black Dakota leather
Media Package - BMW Professional
Sport Automatic transmission
Variable Damper Control
Comfort access
Electric Front seats + Driver memory
Sports steering wheel
USB interface
Front seat heating