09-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #36
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
Run them at equal boost, then compare.
That would be pointless. The idea is to compare them in stock trim, if you read my post I didn't say the n55 had more tuning potential or was running equal boost to produce the same power. I simply said its making more power and thats hard to argue against looking at the numbers. Dont know what the boost is set at for either one but yes if indeed the boost is lower on the n54 then thats probably why its making less power but it does seem to be making less power.

That would be if you were comparing apples to apples. The new 535i with the N55 benefits from a new, MUCH superior 8 speed transmission. That is why the performance numbers haven't changed much despite the extra 400 lbs on the '11 model, not because the new engine is far more powerful.

The C&D test drive on the new 3-series comparing the N54/N55 just a few posts above certainly wouldn't support the idea that the new N55 is so much more powerful on its own that it would propel a 400lb. heavier car to the same speeds as an N54... cuz 400 lbs is a lot, and the N55 doesn't have that kind of power advantage.

The new transmission is far superior I'll grant you that but most of the benefit would come at the lower speeds where its quicker shifting and shorter ratios come in handy but top end would help much and might just equal out cause of extra shifting or longer top gears(havent looked at the ratios so it might not be any different) Either way the trans alone wont make up the 400lbs difference.
Appreciate 0