View Single Post
      12-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Now another question.

Now Ive got more fuel to add to the fiire!!!!!!!!

I decided to look at the 7 series manual to see if they had any different information on how to unlock the transmission. Lo and behold, they indicate to also use the tool to physically unlock the tranny. (Im not sure if this is the 8 speed, but am assuming it is)

But in addition to this, the tool is also used to physically unlock the rear parking brakes, which use the same mechanism (as far as I can tell) that the new F10 series uses. I never thought about that but can imagine a scenario where the battery gets disconnected, you need the flatbed, and along with the transmission, the brakes are solid on hold. I know under certain circumstances...........if you have an accident that bad....who cares if the back wheels are locked up, but I do think BMW needs to send a formal explanation to all new Five series owners on all this stuff. Especially those with post September vehicles that have no bright orange tool and have no official explanation on what to do. In fact, a small wallet size card with the procedures would be nice, since this is something I will forget untill I need it.

I still love the car and consider this one of those minor issues that will get answered someway somehow by BMW.
Appreciate 0