View Single Post
      02-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
All brands have their specific problems: BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche. And they crank out thousands of these cars. Some samples end up being problematic. Some vendor's components end up being defective and it takes time to rectify. Some design issues appear later on over bigger sample numbers, that never appeared during the manufacturer's extensive road testing.

All manufacturers tend to be coy about issues that consumers complain about. None will say, "yeah okay the whole thing is a mistake, please everybody return all your cars in at once." They all treat each case as a unique one-of-a-kind problem until the data from the dealer service shops prove otherwise.

This isn't a brand issue. It's an automobile design/manufacturing/production issue that you can get with any brand. And samples will vary despite strict quality control with all brands (no company puts out a crappy product intentionally.)

Maybe if we eliminate the BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Porsche/fill-in-the-blank brand devotion and look at someone's complaint as real to them and try to help, then we'll get somewhere. The OP can't get sympathy from BMW and now he can get it from BMW owners, either. That's kind of sad.

How about helping out rather than making yourselves feel good that your own cars are running great? Where's the empathy? We've all had problems somewhere along the line with cars we've owned.

To the OP: open an official case with BMW and ask the service manager to have your car there when the regional BMW tech can come to the shop. Having everything on record and documented (not just verbal) is important. Document any references you see to others saying they are experiencing the same issues. It takes patience, and it's no fun and is time consuming. But hang in there.
Well said, I agree with most of your comment.

It really is how the car companies deal with issues which makes all the difference. Of course we are disappointed with out new purchase not being perfect, but we can smile once sorted. Been there, so know how it feels.

I have a friend who had a Honda with an engine issue. 'Even' the might of Honda couldn't find what was wrong, and they did try, repeatedly. Now that did surprise me, as I thought Honda being 'engine' men would have solved it.

Some issues do cause some serious head scratching, before a proper solution is releasesd to the market.

As an example, the BMW (and Jaguar) tramsmission 'jerk' or 'snatch' is not a new issue, we may be surprised it still can happen on a new model, but previous models eventually had Technical Service Bulletins issued on how to solve the problems.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0