View Single Post
      04-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #167
delman27
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Noticed Same Issue

Folks,

I brought my 3 series in for numerous recalls and they gave me an 11 528i loaner. I loved the exterior looks and the finish of the interior. It also rides with that BMW feel (firm, composed, but not harsh) that I fell in love with 15 years ago. With that said, I had the same issues spoke of throughout this thread. I simply could not achieve a smooth takeoff in stop and go traffic. Every other scenario seemed fine.

The throttle tip in has an artificial feel to it and is non-linear. You have two options from a stop or a slow roll- give it some gas and the car storms ahead or feather it and it lurches while immediately going for second gear. In many situations, especially when driving conservatively, it would be better for the trans to start from second gear which should allow for a considerably smoother launch. The other option is to have the vehicle hold first a bit longer before shifting but I imagine that would be a detriment to fuel economy.

It ruined what was otherwise a very positive experience with an incredible machine. It is simply not acceptable and I hope it gets sorted out. The electronic "aids" seem to be impeding a heck of a nice drive.
Appreciate 0