View Single Post
      06-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #66
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

After 4 pages in this thread, I'm slightly wondering that nobody mentioned yet that new BMWs can be ordered without model designation badges in Europe by simply clicking the "badge delete" option in the BMW configurator tool.

IMHO there's probably a subtle difference between removing an existing badge (and possibly damaging the paint) and simply not ordering it.

Also, as opposed to the UK, I think that in Central Europe the vast majority of "non-badged" BMWs, MBs and Audis/VWs are equipped with bigger engines, multiple exhausts and bigger wheels.

So the motivation for ticking the "badge delete" option when ordering a higher-end model would be one or several of the following:

- Cleaner "stealth" look
- Understatement / modesty (i.e. avoiding envious reactions from acquaintances like neighbors, coworkers, etc. who can only afford a "reasonable, eco-friendly" car)
- While the car is parked somewhere in public, avoid provoking car haters / militant tree huggers because of badges suggesting a model with "excessive" emissions/fuel consumption

Last edited by Gran Turismo; 06-13-2012 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0