View Single Post
      05-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Just an update to this for those with EDC and IAS...

I used this write up to install my ACS springs this weekend on jackstands by myself in my garage and it was great (thanks to @hamanncheese for the write up and @ImSW1 for the tips!) A couple of differences that I noticed:

1) I did not need to remove the other suspension bits in the rear to get the strut out as shown above, I just removed the wheel well liner and it came out easily.

2) The speaker covers on the back deck just pop out using a trim removal tool - start with the front and then push up to remove.

3) I picked up a bendy wrench from HF for $10 and it made removing the strut tower bolts under the speaker a piece of cake.

4) I did need to remove the tension strut in the front to get the strut out - the extra electronics and valves on the strut body won't allow it to come out as mentioned above. To remove this I used a 24mm box end wrench and a T47 driver.

5) There is a plug leading from the strut to to a plastic housing for the electronics that you have to remove. The housing has tabs on top that you can pop open with your fingertips, the plug has a lock on the black end that you push to release and it pops right out.

6) If I had to do it again, I would probably pay a garage with a hydraulic spring compressor to swap the springs once I got them out. That was the worst part of the job, especially on the front springs...

Last edited by alextremo; 05-02-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
EV8634.00