03-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #33
DieselDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 Coupe 318is "Gunter"

But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
... The inclusion of the 5er Gran Turismo offers a replacement that steers away from the utilierian stigma the Touring had.
<<DieselDog: It has its own stigma>>

What has been noticed with this new Concept (The 5er Gran Turismo) is that customers like the flexibility and variability of a wagon in a car that does not look like one. The 5er Gran Turismo offers a striking balance of luxury and comfort with typical BMW precision in a package that is anything but conventional
<<DD: ..and anything but athletic. Heavy with no manual transmission - no sale.>>.

With the Gran Turismo what we have noticed especially in Europe when the car went on sale in November that the majority of the cars that have been delivered to customers were in fact new to the BMW brand.
<<DD: Which in my humble opinion, means BMW have alienated long-time core BMW enthusiasts/owners. Not good.>>

With the advent of the new X5 and the 5er Gran Turismo these will remain the choices for customers looking for flexibility and sporting luxury , with the
X5 offering four wheel drive , 5er Gran Turismo will introduce xDrive later this year.
<<DD: I don't want or need xDrive, nor do I want a tall vehicle. And *I* want the best seat...the DRIVER'S seat. I'll not be chauferring other executives around, so I couldn't care less if the rear seats aren't as comfy as the GT. I want an athletic, practical, handsome, RWD, well-engineered wagon. Surely I can't be the only one in all of North America who would buy an F11.>>

The decision taken to not introduce the new BMW 5er Touring to the North America is solely down to the diminishing demand for such cars

<<DD: My point exactly. A great marketing department CREATES and SUSTAINS a market for product. How else could companies sell so many different kinds of niche vehicles and STILL make a profit? (X6 / X6M ring a bell?) I didn't buy the E60 / E61 because I didn't like the Dame Edna look of the front, nor the rear. I've been saving and saving and I WILL bet a new 5. I simply emplore BMW's marketing dept to redirect some X5/X6/X5M/X6M marketing funds to the F11, get the sales force to understand the targeted individuals for this niche, and make a selection of product available.>>
Ah - screw it. I'm not being argumentative...it just sucks that I can't get the vehicle I want. Those Europeans have access to some great vehicles (Scirocco, S4 Avant, S6 Avant, 530dT) - I'm envious.
Appreciate 0