View Single Post
      08-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
alex_c
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

REAL answer to ZDH (Dynamic Handling Package) vs 2TB (Sport Automatic)

CORRECTED ON 8/14/2010 DUE TO MORE DETAILED INFORMATION AND AN ERROR ON THE ORIGINAL POST.

Ok, there have been many posts trying to decypher why and when do you get the toggle switch that enables Dynamic Driving Control next to the shifter, and when you have it, what exactly is the difference between the 2 DDC configurations. I know this is a LONG post, so if you only want the bottom line, skip all the way down until reach the CONCLUSIONS.

First of all, you will get the Dynamic Driving Control Switch when you order one of these combinations:
a) ZSP (Sports package) + ZDH (Dynamic Handling Package)
b) ZSP (Sports package) + 2TB(Sports Automatic transmission)

Option (a) will give you a switch labeled SPORT/COMFORT, which will let you select a range of driving modes going from COMFORT to NORMAL to SPORT to SPORT+

Option (b) will give you a switch labeled SPORT/NORMAL, which will let you select a range of driving modes going from NORMAL to SPORT to SPORT+

So, then what exactly does the Dynamic Driving Control do? Here's the answer:

A) If you have option ZDH, it adjusts the Dampers and Active Roll Stabilizers depending on the program selected (Comfort: soft, Normal: Stiffer, Sport: Stiffest, Sport+: like Sport but also changes the traction control DSC)

b) If you have option 2TB, it adjusts the Steering column, accelerator pedal and transmission shift points. (Normal: slightly stiffer steering than a vehicle without 2TB, normal accelerator and faster gear changes than a vehicle without 2TB; Sport: Stiffer steering, stiffer and more direct accelerator pedal and much faster and higher shift points in the transmission)

I removed the rest of the mumbo-jumbo from the manual and brochures to avoid further confussion.

I also apologize if I made this topic even more complicated than it had to be in the first place, but without an actual vehicle to test and experiment extensively, some of these things are not very clear in the manual and/or the brochures.

CONCLUSIONS

So, clearly, these 2 options are not opposites, but complement each other.

Of course, you can have one of them, the other, or both. It all depends on how you like to drive, and what is more important to you.

For some, like me, the 2TB with the stiffer, more direct steering, a more willing transmission, and paddle shifters are all I need to have lots of fun in my car. The standard suspension on this car may be more than enough for about 90% of customers. Me included.

If you also like very agressive cornering, drive thru a lot of curves, or like to track your car, then ZDH is definately for you, and if you get ZDH, I would recommend that for only $500 more, you add 2TB. It is well worh the price.

Last edited by alex_c; 08-14-2010 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: Correction due to new information
Appreciate 0