View Single Post
      03-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

looks no one has answered. As I came from an E39 msport with 18 wheels I feel qualified in answering!

so in 2002 I bought a new 530i msport with 18inch m parallel wheels and kept this car for 10 years as I was very happy with the car. The E60 never appealed and so after 10 years felt it was worth a change. I was a bit nervous as I knew the E39 was a very good car and a F10 would have a lot to live up to.

I've not got a 530d msport with 19 inch wheels and I feel the F10 is better than the E39 in all ways bar two.
Those two are the steering and the ride.

The E39 steering I thought was nigh on perfect, very communicative which gave me confidence to push the car and know exactly what it was doing.
The F10 is completely different and the first time I drove one, I was very disappointed. It was a lot lighter and just didn't get the feedback that you get with the E39.Thats presumably down to electric steering and run flat tyres. To highlight the difference, when I got back to driving my E39 after the test drive, it felt like it had no power steering, it was that different!
I've got used to it but I do miss the E39 in that respect.

In terms of ride, there are so many combinations of wheel size out there, passive and adaptive suspension systems it difficult to comment on, just search these forums but on my F10 I have 19inch wheels and passive msport suspension. This is slightly softer than the E39 although potholes and bad roads do unsettle the car.

The only way is to try a F10 and see what you think, but make sure its the spec you intend to drive as I suspect there are a lot of variations in feel depending upon what you want.

If the F10 had the E39 steering and handling, it would be near perfect. these two feature though let it down and for me, make me question the phrase ultimate driving machine.

I wish I had the space to have kept my E39 as it was and still is one of the worlds best car in my opinion. perhaps looking a little dated now (especially non msport ones) but still car I admire when I see one.

If you buy a F10, Save up and load it up with options as that's the way it will feel special. I moved over to the dark side and bought diesel this time, but that's probably for another thread!
Appreciate 0