View Single Post
      03-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I was a very happy E39 owner, over 4-years in a 540i touring. My car was a well specified 1998 model, (included double glazing), optioned with M-Tech suspension, running a 17" staggered setup on a touring, very unusual wheel combination for the period.

I also skipped the E60/1 and had an E91 330d for over 6-years, so not moving directly from the E39 to an F11. But saying that, the E39 was "THE" benchmark for any car I tried. Even with the V8 and not having the rack and pinion steering of the straight six models, still a very good steering setup, just a layer down for ultimate steering precision. But not an issue, the V8 made up for that.

How does the F11 stack up against the E39? For me, as good or better in every way. Getting the specification correct, it doesn't have me wishing it was as good as an E39. It is better, and that includes the ride quality and steering with my setup. I'm convinced AD helps the steering precision, BMW certainly claim it helps, partly as the car's balance is neutral for more of the time, which we know helps steering purity. In fact I prefer the normal steering setting, rather than the sport setting, as it gives a better more communicative feel to the chassis. Steering could have a slightly improved centre feel, but it is not something that spoils the drive. Then that was a similar thought for the E39 V8.

I run 18" summer wheels and even on RFTs, I've no issues with them at all. Work well with adaptive suspension and ride comfort is every bit as good as the E39 and better as road quality deteriorates. I was not a fan of RFTs in previous models, removed them from my E91, but have no intention to swap out on this car, will run as BMW intended, without spare wheel issues.

Noise levels... both my cars being petrol, virtually the same for NVH, I sense the F11 is more refined as a package, also suggest the F11 is the quieter car.

My conclusion, the F10/11 is a modern E39, superb cars if specified to your driving needs.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 03-12-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0