View Single Post
      03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
Something I've experienced from the odd poke around F10's is flimsy doorcards etc. Are these Friday afternoon cars or does the car genuinely feel less substantial inside than an E39? I've resigned myself to the fact nobody makes an E39 anymore and whatever I buy might not feel quite as solid and rattle free, but I still want something that feels like a quality product.

One thing I have noticed from some time in an F11 on 17's is tyre noise thats noticeably more intrusive than that in the E39. Is this purely down to the RFT's and cured by banishing them?
I do believe virtually everything in the E39 was top tier for quality and build, just made the car a very special place. E39 door cards are as well finished as any car I've ever come across. The F10/11 is a little different, IMO, rather than a lesser product. I've been over my car with a very fine tooth comb, still see it as a development of the E39. Doors, seals, sill plates, carpets, etc., boot finish, all so similar a fit and finish. Under bonnet fit and finish is up there with the E39, even better in many respects.

I'm continually reminded of the E39, when in the F11, even opening a rear door and looking in is so E39, almost like having flash backs.

I'm on 17" RFT winter tyres at present (Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D) and the noise level is not an issue at all. Soon be back on the 18" summer wheels, (Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR) will be interesting to see if I notice the difference, but can't say they ever gave issues and certainly didn't have thoughts of running on 'quiet' winter wheels.

Tyres can be an issue, but that is more to do with brand than size, or RFTs in particular. I ran Dunlop SP Sport 2000E on the E39 for the whole period I had the car, I wouldn't say I have more tyre noise in my F11. Obviously surfaces can make a difference, granite chipped topping is worst, but is in any car I have ever had.

I'm really pleased with my F11, having run it 18 months, the best decision and move I could have made. The E91 never really filled the gap, so pleased I came back to a 5-series, rather than get an F31 3-series.

I certainly don't wish I was back in the E39, I see the F11 for what it is. BMW have moved on, pleased I've moved on and embraced the changes.

One further observation, I still believe any BMW is specification sensitive, matching a decent E39 package may mean having to choose well, to get a similar feel from the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0