View Single Post
      11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Personally I believe these latest systems are best left to be fully automatic, including the 'snowflake' dehumidifying function. They are so complex in design, trying to be economical and at the same time doing a better job of keep fogging under control.

I ran my E39 up here in the Highlands, pretty wet and moisture laden in the winter, and it would work if dried out over distance*, without snowflake button on. But no way would it work if you switched it 'on and off', on demand, as that made misting worse.

E91 definitely needed the snowflake on to help winter use, fogging control required lots of air to keep it clear if on auto, and without snowflake button on. Run the dehumidifying function and no real issues, misting totally under control with minimal airflows.

With the F11 535i, I leave everything on auto, and there is not any misting, not even in the most severe wet periods we have had this autumn, even dropping to temperatures just above freezing.

* When I say drying out, I mean running the car at least 3 miles after switching the snowflake button off, to dry out the system. Or on the next start up there would be moisture put back into the car. Then the difficulty to get it out of the car without dehumidifying... and that just starts the cycle of adding to the condensation problem.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0