05-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushway9172 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Spoke with Eric at StopTech who was very helpful. He said the OEM pads are likely just not conducive to any type of performance driving and have a tendency to leave pad deposits on the rotors. He said this is commonly misdiagnosed as warped rotors, when in fact, the pad deposits are throwing things off. He recommended switching to StopTech pads which will likely solve the problem. To pick up a new set of rotors while I'm at it, I'm looking at one of their "Street Brake Kits" which consists of drilled/slotted rotors and Posi Quiet pads. Thoughts on that?

I could let BMW continue to replace the components under warranty and return with the same issue every few months, or just take matters into my own hands. My only concern is this NOT solving the problem, though I'm sure it will.

Here is a link to the kit: http://www.buybrakes.com/938.34001-p...rake-pack.aspx
Stoptech make good products, just remember to follow the "bed in procedure", that is going to be crucial to them wearing right. Also, remember, the bed in procedure can also be followed down the line when/if you get deposits again. The bed in procedure will remove them and save you a trip to the dealer. Good luck bud

My personal bed in procedure:
I find an area with at least a bock or 2 of empty space, like warehouses at night. Then I do 12-14 runs going from 10 to 60 mph back to 10 - DO NOT STOP. Turn around and repeat this until you've done it at least 12 times. Your brakes will smell and there will be smoke coming out. Those are properly bedded. Simply take it easy from there and drive carefully on the way home while they cool. You're good to go
Appreciate 1