View Single Post
      02-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
AlbaF10
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10 LCi

LED Adaptive Headlight Retrofit Guide

Hello, after a long race finally I've retrofitted the led adaptive headlight on my F07 GranTurismo.
I feel right to share the acquired knowledge with all.
First of all I want to thanks Shawnsheridan for the "unlimited" support he gave me.

This guide want to be a reference for all car so deliberately i don't post pictures about wiring or assembling parts. So i try to explain the procedure focusing on the "what I need to".
I did the work on an F07 LCI GranTurismo, already equipped with adaptive xenon headlights.

I want to start with the most important consideration: is it possible to retrofit the led headlight on my car?
For my experience the answer is: depending by how is your car is equipped.
The adaptive LED headlight interact with several ecus and buses in your car, so it could become very expensive and really hard to retrofit a car that do not have already adaptive headlight or kafas based system installed.
The led headlight keeps signal directly from FRM and ZGW, that takes a lot of involved signal from steering column, ride height sensor, FLA or KAFAS camera, DSC, ICM and CAS and many others. All of these components must interect each other (via FlexRay, LIN and CAN buses) for the right headlight behavior.
So, unfortunately, we can't simply "plug&code&play" the hedalights to make they working. The complexity and the interaction of the whole system is elevated.

If you decide to proceed to retrofit, anyway, you have to acquire knowledge , software and obviously...items
Esys software with launcher, latest psdzdata and ISTA-D are requested. Is NOT POSSIBLE to proceed without all of these software. Do not start if you don't have these software and if you don't know how to use they!!!
A couple of (working) LED headlights completed with their four ecus each one (be carefull to buy the right component according to your veichle configuration and ETK), wiries and connectors. If you decide to make related retrofit also (like FLA high beam assistant), you need all the item requested according to your veichle configuration and ETK.

First of all you have to study thw wiring diagram to understand how (and where) your original headlights are connected and how (and where) the led will be connected.
The xenon headlights (adaptive or not) uses "analogic signals" to power the lamps directly and only the LIN bus to command some function.
The LED instead use analogic signals to power the system and the digital buses (LIN and CAN3) to comand lamps and stepmotors behavior.
You can find all wiring diagram and related information on ISTA-D.
I used an excel sheet to put all wiring data (wire color, position over headlight connector and ecu position and connector).
This is the most difficult and stressfull part!!!
So, study very well the wiring diagram, because the key to succes is there.
When you have completed the conversion wiring scheme, you are ready to start the "manual" job.
Depending by your car configuration, some wires already come from headlight connector to the right ecu position, others you have to change. I tried to use every wire from headlight to avoid to pass new wire in and out of the engine trunk. In my case i only pass one wire (for the CAN3 bus) and used all others wire changing from the wrong position.
I take the two LED power line from FRM inlet power (the wires that take power to FRM comes to the same combox module used for the LED, so i don't pass any new wires, simply take power form the existing FRM power cable).
The same for the earth wire, i used the same already installed, just re-plugged on connectors.

When you completed the manual work remember to NOT INSTALL THE LED HEADLIGHT BEFORE HAVE CODED FA (Veichle Order) AND FRM ECU.
This step is FUNDAMENTAL, because FRM send different signals to headlights depending of the configuration, if you install LED but the car and FRM is coded for xenon simply you risk to burn your thousand € or $ headlight!!!!
So, BEFORE to install (plug the wiring connector) the led headlights, code your car FA (for the F series you have to insert S552 options and delete S524 (adaptive headlights), however check your VO configuration to be sure).
Use Esys to code FA and then VO code the FRM.
Now you can install the headlights.

Turn ignition on and.....Oh my god!!! These damned headlights don't work!!!
What a fucking hell happened?
Take it easy, the headlights remains completely off until you don't program (flash) and code their four ECU.
Turn on Esys, flash and VO code the headlight ecu (two for each headlight, LHM and TMS if i well remind...).
Now your headlight turn on, but it still don't work correctley.....(no turn signal, no adaptive, ecc.).
Finally turn on ISTA-D, run complete car diagnostic, expand fault memory sheet and find the error related to headlight. Follow the calculate plan procedure to start the "auto-learning" procedure (about 30 seconds).
At the end, make a new car diagnostic, erase all fault memory and enjoy your new, amazing and powerful LED headlights!

Good luck!
Appreciate 1