View Single Post
      02-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Vallabh S Dhawan
India
Rep
Drives: 525d,touareg V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniemcm View Post
You do use your car a lot ! Mine has 2.5 months and only a tenth of your kilometre-age

Quite interesting to see that in India, the standard bundle is quite high, especially rear seat monitors.

Congrats on your new toy or should I say working tool!
Thanks man. I do use all my cars a lot on daily basis. On average each of may cars do 1000k per month, and we have 5 of them.
The rear seat monitors are available in 530d and 525d. Diesel cars a huge hit in India, which is why they give a lot of standard options on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Do you get Sat Nav as an option in India? What about in-car audio, what did you go for? Reverse camera standard or not? I really wanted the M-package too but on our roads that would have meant daily occurrences of the car scraping on badly constructed speed bumps and invisible potholes. I can't handle that mentally, I love my cars too much.

We get sat nav standard on the 530d but not 525d. i have the hifi audio system,don't know how many speakers though it has enough speakers to keep me entertained. No reverse camera, not even an option, sat nav is also not an option, because these are all standard feature on 530, they wouldn't want to give them standard on a 525. Bad roads is the reason why they don't offer M-sport kit in India as well because its just not sensible to have one.

Its a little odd that for a car that is assembled within India they don't offer customization options for local customers, a car like the F10 should be totally built to order! Even though your car appears to have some of the high-end options as standard.

It's just assembled here according to what inventory you order for the particular models, so you cant just go to the dealer and ask, i need a sat nav in my 525d, it's not possible as they didn't order it as a whole on the particular model to be assembled. And if they didn't offer the high-end options then people would rather choose a 3-series because its half the price with similar features. People here buy BMW cars for the badge value. Well, 70% of them do. for them a bmw is a bmw, be it 3 or 5.

Since your car is not imported but locally assembled, did you get it at a good price or is it still very expensive? I know Mercedes has a local assembly plant in Pune as well, are the Bimmers competently priced? I am paying an arm and a leg for mine and that too in Euro, which is strengthening day by day against a weak Pakistani Rupee. I dread the value assessment day at Customs when the car arrives!

Its still very expensive to buy imported cars here in India, though assembled ones cost you less on custom and import duties. For example the 525d is a CKD (completely knocked down) which is charged with 60%duties over the standard factory price and a 535i is a CBU (completely built unit) which is charged 115% duties. The price difference is huge. I would have bought the 535i if it was assembled here in India. I will give u a slight idea of prices in dollars.
my 525d costs - $88,639
Standard 535i - $121,242
and all these prices quoted are without registration charges and other road tax etc.
Answered all your queries above in bold. i hope i dint miss out on anything.
So, these cars don't come cheap for us,
Appreciate 0