Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
This is the process I found a while back that I saved when I do the job...

"After replacing the engine or making engine repairs that require the replacement or removal of the engine bearings, VANOS gears, camshafts, bed plate resealing, engine oil pump, engine oil filter housing, cylinder head, engine oil cooler or anything that interrupts the engine oil supply circuit of the engine requires a short oil pump and oil supply circuit priming procedure."

This procedure is used when the high pressure fuel system pressure is not depleted after minor engine repairs and the fuel injection system needs to be disabled by removing the fuel injector electrical connectors.

1- If the engine has been drained prior to the repair remove the engine oil drain plug again to remove any residual oil that may have settled in the engine oil pan during the repair if the engine oil pan was not removed entirely.

2- Reinstall and torque the engine oil drain plug (with a new seal ring) per the applicable repair instruction.

3- Remove the oil filter housing cover and verify the oil filter is present. Reinstall the oil filter housing cover and torque it to the proper specification noted in the applicable repair instruction.

4- Fill the engine with the proper type and amount of engine oil, as specified in the applicable repair instruction.

5- Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.

6- Remove all fuel injector electrical connectors to disable fuel injection.

7- Crank the engine for 10 seconds.

8- After 10 seconds have elapsed, stop the starter, and allow the starter to cool for 20 seconds.

9- Repeat steps 7 and 8 two additional times.

10- Reinstall the fuel injector electrical connectors, reassemble the vehicle and verify proper engine operation.

11- After the engine has reached operating temperature, check the engine oil electronically or with the dipstick, and top up the engine oil as needed.
I've heard of this oil starvation when replacing the OFHG however I don't know anyone it's happened to and I've not seen it on the tube.

I don't think there's an official ISTA process because oil starvation wasn't supposed to happen.

Nothing about it in newstif.info either:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...n20/1VnYMIDuML

The guys at BMP said, "if you replace the oil during an OFHG repair, I pour 1qt through the OFHG and the rest normal".

Not saying it's not possible as BMW does recommend purging the air out of cooling system before starting the car right after the repair. Maybe that's where the problem really lies, is with air in the cooling system that shares the same OFHG?

If high oil request is what primes the oil cooler than an idea would be to reverse the oil cooler valve so it's alway circulating. I reverse mine for summer and track days. Takes longer to warm up but on track days, driving really hard not a tick over 240 degrees. Spirited driving with that mod is 220 on average.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 1
ey2001310.00