darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
relationship between ride quality and rim size

Hey all, my car is yet to be delivered and comes with stock 17" RFTs. I chose not to go for bigger 18" or 19" at the time of ordering as I felt the total cost was going way beyond my planned target and I figured I could just get bigger wheels later on.

Some members here advised me to keep the stock 17s till I needed to discard the RFTs and then upgrade and I think that is sound advice. Its just that I see all these gorgeous wheels on the cars here on the forum and I can't help but wonder if I'm even gonna like the 17s on my car.

The thing is: the roads that I drive on are pretty awful with frequent potholes and improperly constructed road bumps. In fact the poorly planned and frequent speed bumps is the main reason I had to forego the M-sport option as the low front bumper would have been totally messed up by the frequent scraping.

So my question is: given the condition of the roads I drive on, does going bigger make sense and offer any benefit other than looks? Does ride quality get better or worse with bigger wheels? I don't see myself going as big as 20" but maybe 19"? Would I still need to replace the springs to lower the car?
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0