09-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post
I know it's a touchy subject.

Im planning on mounting a front plate once my 550 comes in. I was wondering if there is a plastic mount that is supplied with the car or does one simply drill it into the bumper? My VW Passat had a body colored mounting bracket and it was as sharp a solution as possible. If there is one available, I'm hoping to have it painted to match.

thanks.
The front and rear plate brackets are indeed included with the car and are installed by the dealer. The rear is attached with screws that go into fittings on the back of the trunklid. The front bracket however is attached via srews that go directly into the bumper and is indexed to the center of the bumper via tabs on the bottom portion of the bracket that slot into the bumper. It is contoured to fit the shape of the bumper so does not look that bad. You can tell your dealer to not install this and throw the assembly in the trunk. Becauase the front braket is plastic, you could have this painted to match the color of the car, something I am considering on doing. The rear bracket is completly covered by the plate so you don't have to worry about getting that one painted.
Appreciate 0