View Single Post
      11-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
EL MEJOR
ALLDAY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 convertible

Yes I hear you! When I got my 550 at exactly 3007 miles I got the warning. I put a qt. Dealer told me it was normal but shouldn't happen again. Yea right. At 6012, again add qt. So I decided to do my First Oil change then. When go to the dealer I ask the parts guy why its asked me 2x already at 3k intervals and he says that its normal because high performance engines burn oil. (btw i had no idea the engine takes 8.5 qts) so I spent $120 on oil. (9qt @ $9.5 + oil filer $23+tax) now Im at 7167 and it gave me the warning again this morning. 1160 miles later! I must say after the oil change I have been driving very aggressive, frequently, taking each gear 5-6k+ rpm. My car is a 6 speed Manual Transmission. I drive to work at 5AM so highway is clean, I easily hit 120-130 mph a few times.

One thing of note, I noticed that when I drive this way (high rpms) I would smell something burning. I used to think it was the brakes since they were new, or maybe the clutch, But I been driving MT many many years and I don't burn through clutch so I knew it couldn't be that. Anyhow, eventually it came to me that it was the oil because through the first 6k miles I wouldn't drive aggressive 80% of the time maybe thats why it would take 3k miles per qt. But now its like everyday, so I got the warning in 1160 miles after oil change.

This is a bummer in a way because these cars is supposed to be $0 maintenance for 4 yrs and yet, aside from my own oil change ($120), its asked for 3 qts @ $9.5 each thats $30 I had to pay. BMW should give you the damn oil so you can add it when it asks.