View Single Post
      04-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
jftoha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport /2011 535is

This morning I got the Alpina 21" installed. They are 21"x8.5" ET25 Front and 21"x10" ET41 Rear. The tires are 245/35 21 and 285/30 21. Those are the sizes that come standard in the Alpina B7, which is the car these wheels come form. Normally people use 245/30 in front and 285/25 rear with 21" wheels, but i did not want to have the ride so compromised and took a chance and order the B7 tires. This raises the car about 1/2" but fills the fender gap 1/2" which is welcomed. The rise in the car height I was not able to perceive, but I was very surprised how much the fender gap was reduced. There is no rubbing at all and the wheels sit pretty flush with the fenders, so no spacers needed. I will probably postpone the installation of the AC Schnitzer springs I bought until I am sure I want to mess with the ride and handling I have right now.

Coming from Run Flats, first in my E63 and now in the F10, I was used to a pretty crappy ride and expected it to get worse with 21" wheels. To my infinite surprise, the ride is MUCH better. I purposefully rode over rough roads and even tried a few small shallow potholes and was ecstatic. The best way to describe it is that it feels like "The old Sport Package (pre RFT) BMW feel". It reminds me of both my E34 and E39 540's 6spd, which run on 17" and had the Sport Package.

Needless to say, I could not be happier. It has put to rest the great concerns I had about going to 21". I carry clients, my wife and my 2 month old baby in this car, and I am sure they would all agree the ride is better than with the original 19" wheels and RFT that came with the sport package, well, maybe the baby would not be able to verbalize it yet.

So, here are a few iPhone shots. I will update my reactions to the change after I drive the car a bit more.

Cheers

jo
Attached Images

José Tohá ---------------------------------Chilean Architect, Living in Washington, DC.
PRESENT: F10 535I Sport, Alpina 21" wheels, AC Schnitzer springs, M5 Grill.
PAST: E63, E39 (2), E34 (2), E36, E24, E30 (2)
Appreciate 0