02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #42
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Oddly, a recent edition of Consumer Reports rated the Michelin X-ice X3 ahead of the Nokian R3 and three other brands ahead of Michelin. Granted testing conditions can vary as much as winter road conditions, but the difference between top-rated tire (and also one of the cheapest) and the 7th rated tire is virtually nothing. I suspect that the special tread compound, initially used in Blizzaks, is common to most most manufacturers these days. In the case of the CR test, prices for the first seven top rated tires varied from $84/tire up to $147/tire. If one were to believe CR, there seems little reason to spend a fortune on tires that used only in winter and often at lower speeds.
I can say that Blizzak's compound is not used in Hakkas. Hakkas are high silica. Blizzak "special" is multicell.

Keep in mind wisdom imparted by CR compared with personal experience actually using many of the contenders.

Buy hey, hats off to anyone running dedicated winter tires of any kind. I wish everyone put winter tires on.
Appreciate 0