11-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I used to keep my M3 off the road in the winter, but I never actually considered it "in storage". I kept the gas tank full, and it was fully detailed all the time, but I would pick my days when there wasn't ice and snow on the ground (and everything was dry and sunny) to take the car out for a spin. I would get it fully warmed up and then return home to tuck it back into the heated garage. I also have a hot/cold water hose in the garage which is a MUST if you live in a cold weather climate and like to keep your cars nice. On the odd day it's above freezing, you can give it a quick wash (keep the car running with the heat on) and then back into the garage for dry and detail.

The hot water hose is also a must for rinsing all the salt and frozen ice off the vehicles you DO drive in the winter months. in about 3 minutes you can get a car relatively clean before pulling into the garage and having all that slop melting all over the garage floor.

Any plumber can run a hot/cold water line to your garage for a couple hundred bucks. once you have it, you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
Taking it for an occasional spin, in the OP's case, may be a good idea as long as the roads are largely free of salt. This would really avoid most of everything else mentioned above. As I said, I'd BET you can even park it there without much prep and be perfectly fine come spring. This isn't a 20 year old car we're talking about - battery should be in good shape along with all other mechanicals, so my money would be on it starting right up.

Only issue with sports cars, though, is if they're running on summer tires. Even without snow/ice on the road, it can be incredibly dangerous since the tires will have little grip near and below freezing temps.
Appreciate 0