07-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAzcuy View Post
Recently I was surprised to find out that my 2010 535i GT has an Achilles Heel in a spot that you would never have thought existed and is not covered by the warranty.

Beware the trunk! Inside the trunk of a BMW 2010 535i GT is an electronic module located on the right side wall. If by any chance any liquid penetrates the carpet into this area it can damage it and it is not covered under warranty. What a design flaw. There is no sign or information that let's you know that there is any sensitive electronic equipment where it could possibly get damaged. So don't put a wet umbrella, or groceries that might tip over, wet towel, or open your trunk during a rain storm.

What happens when it gets damaged due to water seepage? The sensors in your car begin to go crazy. The AC shuts off, the NAV computer shuts off, your air bag restraint system shuts off, the radio doesn't work, etc. You would think that something so critical would not be put in the trunk of a car or at the very least package it in such a way to prevent seepage of any dew or water intrusion.

Has anyone else run into this problem? The repair is $2000.00 to replace it. I was very happy with the car until today. This is the second BMW that I have owned and this is the first time that I have ever run into this kind of poor design work on their part.
From the User's Manual:

No fluids in the trunk
Make sure that fluids do not leak into the
trunk; otherwise, the vehicle may be damaged.◀

An expensive mistake, but it IS in the manual...now, most people don't read it, but...

I don't know for sure, but since most (all?) BMW's have their battery in the trunk to help balance F/R weight distribution, I'd bet that this situation is not unique to the GT - I'd guess all of them have some electronics there potentially subject to spills.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 08-02-2012 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: added comment
Appreciate 0