View Single Post
      04-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Driving gloves

Yes or no?

My understanding is that the driving glove had been used by those driving Early Formula One racing cars which used steering wheels taken directly from road cars. They were normally made from wood necessitating the use of driving gloves. In this case the glove provided protection. A practicality.

Today however, steering wheels are made from forgiving and comfortable materials such as leather and even suede! Therefore the driving glove is no longer a necessity. Yet I see people wearing them. There is one older gentleman in my neighborhood who looks to be a mix of Errol Flynn and that Dos Equis guy from the commercial as he drives his Maserati complete with Ray Bans and no doubt a capacity to tell you stories that would keep you entranced for hours.

But he... looks the part as stereotypes go for wearing such an antiquated item. And I think it's cool as hell.

But what do you think? Personally I like the idea. Even though I won't be getting any splinters from my supple M3 wheel, I like the idea of keeping both the wheel and my hand clean as well as the increased grip it provides. Plus, if it gives me the aura of Steve McQueen, all the better

I just placed an order for these:

I have a friend who laughs and calls me gay but at the end of the day, I will wear them proudly and let the haters hate. Who knows, maybe I will inspire a fellow motorist as the elderly gentleman in his Maserati inspires me.

Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0