View Single Post
      05-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Hopefully with BMW bringing out more of these sweet turboed inline 6s, that means the V6 M3 rumor is nothing more than just that. Rumors.

Maybe this is a good time to share what I've read in a local magazine recently:

Apparently, possible collaborations (very hush-hush) are being discussed between Merc and BMW. Up to the point of them sharing chassis for the next 3 & C, 5 (6) & E (CLS), Mini & A/B and X5 & ML/ X3 & GLK. Probably more like the Z4 & SLK, SL & Z-who-knows-what. Apparently the suits at Munich and Stuttgart are aiming for the same platform sharing efficiency that VW has with its Golf/ Leon/ A3 and every other platforms they share.

Part of this involves them sharing the same engine blocks with different heads, turbos, gearboxes and suspension bits. Now that involves them having to decide whether to go V6 or inline 6 (and no prizes which one I'll be rooting for if any of this turns out to be true...).

That's the first hurdle. The second one (and it's a big one) is the Quandt family controlling BMW (who cannot stop this from going ahead on their own) will not bite. They're highly secretive, and they've made it known on more than one occasion that they want BMW to remain independent.

Another snag is even if these two do team up as some sort of not-merged-but-working-as-one deal, they're still nowhere near what the pundits consider the absolute minimum of 5 million units per year figure. Which means if they do team up, they'll need to team up yet again with another manufacturer who has a larger footprint in the volume markets.

Someone like PSA for instance... BMW and PSA already have engine-deals, which makes PSA a candidate. Problem here is that the current head of PSA was once at Airbus, who Daimler once not too long ago was very much interested in buying a piece of. PSA's current head didn't make that possible.

The magazine made mention of Honda, which doesn't sound too bad - if all this teaming up is inevitable of course -, as they are engineering driven (very good thing) and are globally represented (making up the volumes).

Now this all sounds very peachy, but my problem is this:

VW may be masters at the same-buns-and-meat-different-burgers manufacturing, but to me at least there's very little that distinguishes a Golf from a Leon from even an A3, bar some bells and whistles.

The other big thing is that it's only a matter of time before one company gobbles up the other. Let's face it, Daimler has the bigger wallet at the end of the day...

Some more puzzles: The 1 Series wouldn't fit in the grand plan so chances are that it'll go FWD in the generation after the one that's still to be released (gasp).

But, as they say, que sera sera.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention that (again, apparently) the 7 and S as well as RR and Maybach will not be sharing anything, apart from between the 7/ RR and the S/ Maybach.
Appreciate 0